Sunday, September 11, 2005

Relatives of Katrina Victims...

It seems there are many of us out there, in a variety of different states. We're the relatives and friends of people who survived Hurricane Katrina, and we're housing our loved ones with us until they can return (or if they choose to return.)

What I've noticed over the last few weeks is that a wide array of emotions have flooded through my mind. I was worried that my family wouldn't survive (in my case, they could not evacuate before Katrina due to medical reasons), then when the waters receded in their area, they had to drive 500 miles out of their way to arrive here. I am so incredibly grateful that they are safe, yet I am sad to see them (as well as many others now in my area) so displaced from their home. I've taken my parents shopping (as they only had 3 days worth of clothes when they arrived) and I see and hear New Orleans accents throughout the stores. In a way, this is comforting. Like I am surrounded by the people I grew up around once again. In a way, it is disheartening, because I know they miss their native city - the lazy port city on the Mississippi River.

This morning I took my parents out to brunch, and heard a cajun accent behind me ask the waiter if the restaurant had any coffee with chicory in it. My heart just broke when I heard that, because coffee with chicory was one of those things that was just "normal" in New Orleans, but it's not common in other places. Here are these people, displaced, wanting some semblance of home.

Writing has always been a creative outlet for me, and I've begun several poems about New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. I do urge everyone to donate to whatever group they feel most comfortable with to help Katrina victims. Donate financially, donate your time to sort out goods in various offices/shelters, donate supplies to help those who are displaced.

My family is one of the lucky ones. They have damage, but it can be repaired. Many have lost everything, and are now faced with the decision to rebuild what they had or start over. I can't imagine what that would feel like.

More blurbs on this blog to come...

Signing off for now - Cajungal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home