Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Katrina Aftermath - What's Your Opinion?

Happy Tuesday to everyone.

The more I hear on the news, and the more web sites that are updating the aftermath of Katrina, the more I become convinced that we are becoming a divided nation again when we should be standing together.

Granted, it would have been great if New Orleans levees were prepared for Katrina. I'm still not sure what happened to the federal money that was supposed to be distributed for that purpose. Some sources say that the budget was cut. Others say that nothing was cut, but corrupt Louisiana politicians pocketed a good sum of the money. (Sadly, even though I'm from there - I am not surprised at either explanation...we were the state of Huey P. Long, Edwin Edwards, and many others.)

This morning I read a story sent by an email contact that said other nations are trying to help Katrina victims, but their help is becoming tied up in red tape and is therefore not ever going to reach the victims. Click here to read the story. I keep hearing stories of Atlanta firefighters who were ready and willing to go to New Orleans and Biloxi and help out, but they spent time in sensitivity seminars.

It's become true over the years that we have lost some of our common sense, all in the name of political correctness and fear of lawsuits. Yet at a time when we should be uniting to help, instead some are standing on top of a big pile of red tape.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to do a poll for a future blog post. Send me your comments at cajungal68@bellsouth.net.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Are you using it in your romance writing?

See you Thursday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home